Women’s History Month got its’ start back in 1911 with the first International Women’s Day. In 9180, President Jimmy Carter March is was declared the week of March 8th as Women’s History Week before finally evolving into an entire month of celebration for Women’s History.
In celebration of women everywhere, here’s 5 inventions you’re using all the time that are a result of women!
- Hedy Lamarr is an actress from Austria who invented a system that prevented enemy ships from jamming torpedo guidance signals during the Second World War. This technology laid the foundation for Wi-Fi!
- Mary Anderson invented automatic windshield wipers. Thank goodness we have this technology to help keep us safe during rain storms.
- Josephine Cochrane invented the dishwasher.
- Melitta Bentz found a solution to those annoying coffee grounds floating in your drink when she created the coffee filter.
- Maria Beasley improved the life raft that was later used to help save people on the Titanic. Unfortunately, the Titanic didn’t supply enough of these life saving rafts to help everyone.
- BONUS: Marie Curie was famous for her work with radioactivity and was the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize.