Last week we talked about why sleep is so important for your body’s ability to function properly. Let’s take some time to look at some techniques for helping you reduce anxiety and get to sleep.
The 4-7-8 Breathing Technique allows you to focus your mind and breathing while systematically relaxing your body. It’s simple, just follow these steps while laying in bed:
- Inhale for 4 seconds
- Hold breath for 7 seconds
- Exhale slowly, for 8 seconds
Another option for relaxing your body is to practice Progressive Muscle Relaxation. This process includes systematically tensing and relaxing different muscle groups in your body. You’ll start at your feet and move up to your face.
- Take a few deep breaths to generally relax before getting started.
- Start with tensing the muscles in your right foot by squeezing as tightly as you can. Hold for a 10 count.
- Relax – notice the way your foot feels and continue your deep breathing.
- Next, follow the same steps for your left foot.
- Continue following these same steps and techniques as you work your way up your body.