Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith, TedX speaker and author of Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity has identified seven type of rest! Typically, we only typically think of one type of rest…going to sleep. What if we expanded our knowledge of rest and found a way to get all seven types? This would drastically improve our ability to excel and function from day to day.
What Are The 7 Types Of Rest?
- Physical Rest – anything that restores your body is considered physical rest. This can be anything ranging from meditation to going to sleep at night.
- Mental Rest – when feeling overwhelmed and anxious, a mental rest can mean taking a walk away from your computer or it could be writing out thoughts that keep you awake at night.
- Emotional Rest – be honest with yourself about how you’re feeling. Emotional rest allows you to be true to yourself without hiding emotions.
- Social Rest – going out too much? You may need a break from your social group or you may need a break from people who are toxic. Stick to friendships who are uplifting and positive in your life.
- Sensory Rest – you probably guessed it…turn off the TV and social media and get back to the basics. Read a book or meditate. Turning off the devices will give your brain a break from the sensory overload that we have become accustomed to.
- Creative Rest – if you’re an artistic person, get creative. If you’re not, creative rest involves exploring artistic creations around you. You don’t have to physically create something in order to get creative rest. It’s all about being inspired and allowing your brain to find new inspirations all around.
- Spiritual Rest -spiritual rest can involve church or simply connecting to something higher than yourself. When you feel stuck in your world, spiritual rest helps you tune in to with something bigger in order to bring peace to your soul.
What kind of rest do you typically find yourself getting and what kind of rest are you in need of most? Try bringing these additional types of rest into your life – and watch as you grow and flourish!